Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What I am Thankful For

On this, the eve of Thanksgiving, I sit reflecting about what I am thankful for. I'm a bit of a complainer and my first thoughts oftentimes are negative. Then, once I've done some venting, I can focus on the positive. On that positive note, here is a short list of the things I love about my life.

1. Friends who are like family
Some I've known for just about as long as I've had memories, some I've lived with through good times and hard times, and some I've been lucky to share several defining moments with. These are people who take me as I am even when I'm not so fun to be around, understand me when I have a hard time understanding myself, and are there for me even when I am the bad friend who disappears from the world and doesn't call or Facebook or respond to invitations until the last minute.
I have friends whose family I consider family and I am so thankful to have been so welcomed.

2. Family who are like friends
(ok I know that is super cheesy, but that is really what I am thankful for)
I have a mom who is so generous and giving and so appreciative of the smallest gestures. She sees the best in people and doesn't give up.
My dad, even when we don't see eye to eye, has taught me to work hard, to have high expectations, and to be self reliant. This past year, I experienced probably the most stress I've been through when my dad went from being a relatively healthy person to spending over a month in the hospital. One of my worst fears has always been losing my parents, and this summer, this fear was very real possibility with many scary times. Thinking about and even starting to plan for a future without him was one of the hardest things I've had to do. Thankfully he has mostly recovered. However, the weariness of his age now shows through reminding us that time is precious and fleeting. I need to remember more often to speak kind works and think good thoughts. Whatever our differences, the important part is that we are family and love each other and should be positive and forgiving for the time we have left together (and let that be a long, long time).
My brothers and I have had tenuous relationships, and we have been through a lot. James and I were very close several years ago and I miss that time and that relationship, but appreciate where we are now. He has good humor and keeps us all in check. I can truly say that Scott is a friend which, as you may know, means we've come a long way. One of the things that I like a lot about him is his loyalty. He is also a wonderful travel buddy and I hope we can do more traveling together soon.
I've got great aunts and uncles and cousins and truly count myself blessed in the family department.

3. My Job
This is something I complain about a lot, but the truth is I am lucky in my job. I have tremendous autonomy, bosses who believe in me and my potential, coworkers who I count as friends, employees who are wonderful, and people and their teams who are really remarkable. While things are always busy, they are mostly never boring. I have a lot of variety which keeps me from getting bored, the ability to contribute ideas, attend trainings and seminars, and lots of time off.

4. My book club
I don't really know how it happened that we all came together, but our group has a little magic to it. I look forward to seeing these ladies every month, catching up, doing a little reading, and having some drinks. We always have a good time, lots of laughs, and can talk about just about anything.

I think I could go on and on, but I think my message to myself here is to be sincerely grateful for the gifts in my life, work to appreciate things on a daily basis, and to always make time for the truly important things in life.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. I am so thankful to have you as part of my family as well, yes that is right... you are way beyond a friend you are more like a sister to me! Hope we can remain close until we are old and hanging on the beach with our walkers. I look forward to many more fun events and vacations in our futures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh buddy, I can't believe I didn't realize you have been blogging. :) Loved this post, and love you.

    ReplyDelete